Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bsturgen One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8764  
Subject: Re: RuleBreaker / Gorilla ?? Date: 3/23/2000 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

grimani wrote:

Discussion on whether PALM is a RB, and if so, when the best time to buy is...

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1210585000270000&sort=id

read the link. found it informative, well written, etc.
i'm new to the GG, and am not completely finished with the book, but last night while reading i began to wonder if the handheld market is "in the tornado" and whether palm was a gorilla or gorilla potential within this market.

the handheld market is not new. in the 1980's i had a neat digital watch (casio) that could hold phone numbers and so forth. the newton (one of my favorites) was a cool little pda. pda's are a big thing now. now qcom and nok are/have been shipping mobile phones with pda capability.

first, is this discontinuous technology? imo the answer is "it depends." is the palm top an extension of the desktop? i could argue either way on that one. in the end, i think the palm top may be a discontinuous technology because the applications have the potential of running on a diverse set of devices (i.e. pda, pager, wrist watch, etc.). the palm top is also a paradigm shift from bulkier desktops to the info-appliance. but in the end i am not sure on this one.

i believe the palm os is an enabling technology, but then so is win ce. i like the potential returns on palm os licensing to handspring, qcom, etc. win ce seems to have more device manufacturer support, but otoh most of those manufacturers appear to also create wintel pc's, making me question if win ce is merely an attempt of msft to head off a potential gorilla and have [at least some portion of] their technology replaced by this discontinous innovation.

second, is it open-proprietary? palm owns the interface. there are two interfaces: the palm api and the conduit api. the palm api is the interface for creating programs that run on the palm os. the conduit api is the interface for integrating desktop applications with any palm application/database.

are there high switching costs? i believe so. converting a palm address book to a win ce address book could be a difficulty. converting an application from palm to win ce could be downright painful.

if i apply normal rule breaker type of analysis to palm, then i would be shorting the stock since it trades at a PEG of 5+. btw - anyone else notice that gorilla's tend to have PEG ratios that are pretty high? csco (3.9), jdsu (5+), orcl (4.3), msft (2.2), all have (imo) high PEG ratios. is this the nature of being a gorilla.

like i said, i have not fully finished the book. anyone have some clues for me? thanks.

bes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement