UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883923  
Subject: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 3:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I like to use plastic grocery bags as trash can liners --- but what kind of trash can do they fit?

There are commercially made ones that look like they would work well, but LBYM people probably don't want to lay out the cash.

I've used various trash cans for the liners, none of which work well.

Yesterday I found that using a 3.5 gallon plastic bucket works well, especially if you cut the top two inches of the bucket off to make it somewhat shorter.

The handle stays on with that arrangement.

Cost: $0.00

Looks good so far....

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880435 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 3:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I use them in the little bathroom trash cans and use an old elastic headband to hold it in place.

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880436 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
I use the plastic bags from the grocery for all but one of my trashcans in the house. One is rectangular shaped (3.5 gallon) another is a narrow round can with a swinging lid and then a shorter round can with a metal lid that flips up. The only bags I purchase are 13-gallon kitchen bags. Those last a long time.

My hint for saving space with the plastic bag liners. I flatten them and then stretch to narrow and then I gently create a loose know in the center. I keep many of them in the bottom drawer in my kitchen and it takes up less space than how I used to try and fold them or just throw them in.

I knew you'd want to know ......

Robyn

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880437 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 3:57 PM
... a loose knot ...

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880443 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 5:00 PM
Recommendations: 2
I like to use plastic grocery bags as trash can liners

Their days are probably limited. The last of my local cities have now banned most plastic grocery bags.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880445 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
For my household, the grocery bags are good for what we referred to when I was child as "wastepaper baskets" - bedrooms/bathroom/computer desk but not for garbage cans.
Woe be the person who drops a non-paper item in a wastepaper basket
The difference being that Wastepaper baskets are for things like Q-tips, used tissues, bandaids...the grocery bags (of which we have so few we sometime go get more from the neighbors) have that safety hole in them, and actual "garbage" can be messy & leak.

peace & the small stuff
t

i think we have this size bin (or something very similar) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10096417/

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880447 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 6:32 PM
My bathroom trash can is shaped like a fish, and the handle of one side of a bag goes just right over the tail. :P

And I have a couple of other small trash cans - one by my desk and one by the litter box, where the grocery bags fit well.

Ishtar

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880448 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 6:36 PM
Recommendations: 3
The difference being that Wastepaper baskets are for things like Q-tips, used tissues, bandaids...the grocery bags (of which we have so few we sometime go get more from the neighbors) have that safety hole in them, and actual "garbage" can be messy & leak.

peace & the small stuff
t

Not all bags have a safety hole. I clean the cats' litter boxes twice a day and use plastic grocery bags to carry the waste out to the garbage can. It took exactly one time of not looking for a hole to train me.

Karen

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880452 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 7:41 PM
I got one at Kmart a few years ago that a standard grocery bag fits into quite nicely. They're probably still around, various places. I've even seen some with pop-up lids. Look for something that works with medium trash bags.

Also have a 3.5 gallon bucket around the house but it's great for keeping sand in, just the way it is. And around here, we are going through sand, salt and ice melter like nobody's business.

Author: bmillz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880459 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 10:21 PM
Yesterday I found that using a 3.5 gallon plastic bucket works well, especially if you cut the top two inches of the bucket off to make it somewhat shorter.

The handle stays on with that arrangement.

Cost: $0.00

Where do you get your plastic buckets for free?

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880464 of 883923
Subject: Re: Grocery Bag Trash Can Date: 2/25/2014 11:28 PM
My grocery bags get used when I scoop the cat litter.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement