UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: saveslivesbyday One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31096  
Subject: Growing Figs in Tennessee Date: 5/5/2005 9:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm into my second season of growing figs in East Tennessee. I have 6 different varieties, all but one plant seems to have survived the winter. Anyone have any tips?

BJR
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ZuzuFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17587 of 31096
Subject: Re: Growing Figs in Tennessee Date: 5/6/2005 12:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
BJR

Just one tip - don't move North.

I have absolutely no shot at growing figs in Northern MA. Yet I will not stop trying.

My grandfather (91) has had his fig trees going for many years (outside Newark, NJ). They are wonderful.

If I get a single fig here after many years of effort, I will consider that a sauces.

Zuzufool (Ralph)

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17589 of 31096
Subject: Re: Growing Figs in Tennessee Date: 5/6/2005 7:53 AM
Ralph, you can grow smaller varieties of fig in a planter and bring it into the garage or basement for the winter.

In Brooklyn's large Italian neighborhoods, almost every house has at least one fig tree. Before winter sets in, the owners wrap their trees in old blankets, rugs, rags, newspaper, etc. and invert a pail on top to keep out as much snow or rain as possible. When it snows (if the snow is moist and sticky) these objects look like snowmen.

Trini

Author: ShyMac One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17590 of 31096
Subject: Re: Growing Figs in Tennessee Date: 5/6/2005 8:08 AM
Are your fig trees cold hurt? Or just not producing?

I'm in Virginia and have a fig tree growing in a sunny but sheltered spot and it sets figs at least once and and sometimes twice in a season. I don't know what kind it is, it came with the house. It's surrounded by a fence on two sides and the house on the third. It's also basically ignored until the birds feast on the figs.

Maybe yours are too exposed?

Sherry

Author: ZuzuFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17593 of 31096
Subject: Re: Growing Figs in Tennessee Date: 5/6/2005 9:38 AM
Trini,

I have tried bringing the trees in for the winter, also simply wrapping (which my Italian grandfather does). No sucess to date. I have managed to keep trees alive over a winter, but barely.

No quit - I haven't yet bought this year's tree.

Ralph

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement