Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ejandresen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 558  
Subject: Re: Valuation Date: 7/27/2001 8:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Growth is growth. Organic growth is more predictable and sustainable than internal growth.

Consider 2 drug companies. One has a profitable product, makes money and uses the money to buy other companies making a profitable product.

The other has no marketable product but a team of people are staring into microscopes and if they come up with the cure to cancer, they'll make billions.

Some people would rather have the 2nd company (obviously since many biotechs are selling for 1,000 times sales AFTER the "shakeout".) I'd rather have the first company. Even if XYZ Biotech labs comes up with the cure to cancer it will still be marketed through JNJ SGP BMY MRK or some other big company.

It's the same with toys. Hasbro and Mattel had some hits of their own to start the cash flowing. But they became multibillion dollar companies through buyouts. I'd rather buy Monopoly and Scrabble than try to invent my own phenomenon.

As for the valuation, I too would bail after a certain point. I would want a margin of safety. It's sufficient to say that JAKK's price right now is eminently justifiable through its fundamentals. However, there's nothing wrong with taking profits.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement