No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a computer that dual boots into Windows XP or CentOS-4. I removed the keyboard that plugs into a PS2 socket and installed one that plugs into the USB. That works fine with Linux and it works on boot-up to get into the BIOS.

But if I boot the machine, I get the grub splash screen that says it will boot into Linux and to press any key to see the other options. But pressing any key (I tried several different ones) seems to be ignored. I can run Linux or nothing. Is there any way I can diddle grub to make it notice my USB keyboard.
Print the post Back To Top
I'm somewhat surprised that you can boot into the BIOS. I've had problems with USB keyboards not being recognized until Windows fully boots (with Windows USB drivers activated.) This was more prevalent with a BIOS written prior to 2002. What's your BIOS date? Is USB Legacy support turned on in the BIOS?
I'm somewhat surprised that you can boot into the BIOS. I've had problems with USB keyboards not being recognized until Windows fully boots (with Windows USB drivers activated.) This was more prevalent with a BIOS written prior to 2002. What's your BIOS date?

I got the machine very early in 2000, say March, so the BIOS is no later than that. The machine has USB1.1 hardware in it on the mother board. MB is Tyan S1832DL Tiger 100. Bios is AMBIOS.

Is USB Legacy support turned on in the BIOS?

It is greyed out on the setup screen, and is disabled. When CentOS4 Linux is running, it works. When Windows XP was running (with the PS/2 keyboard) it worked. But problem seems to be only when grub runs it cannot hear the USB keyboard. I suppose I can always buy another PS/2 keyboard.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Because of the age of BIOS, I think your will have a hard time getting it to work until the machine boots into an OS and loads the OS drivers for USB devices. See also: https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2003-Jun... You might make and boot to a mini-OS with the drivers and then launch GRUB from there, but what a PIA. I'd probably just use a PS2 keyboard and call it a day - I've never had a problem with their working... Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I think it's a matter of working with more modern devices than the 2000 vintage BIOS adequately supports w/o the assist of drivers provided by the OS. You perhaps *might* find a BIOS firmware update that addresses the issue, but it looks like the latest offered is a 2001 version: http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/b_tg_100.html

Sorry,
Bob
Something like this might help, as it enables booting to USB devices in a machine with an older BIOS - You'd think it also might enable using a USB keyboard in an older machine: http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/445010:weekend-project-...
No. of Recommendations: 1
I found I could get the Legacy USB or whatever it is called to be active by booting the hardware with the USB keyboard plugged in. That lets grub to come up and me to change it to whatever OS I wish to run, it allows me to get to the BIOS, and to run Linux. I can also run Windows XP, but Windows XP will not accept the keyboard enough to log in.

So I just ordered a Keytronic E3601P2 brand new from the manufacturer. It is a direct replacement for the 10 year old Keytronic that I had on that machine. I will continue to use the old PS2 keyboard on the new machine. Perhaps I should have ordered two of those.

All this so I can run TaxAct once a year, and a coupla other programs I run about as often. Otherwise, I would not need Windows at all. And I would not need to keep the 10 year old computer either. Although it is handy to log into my main machine with when its keyboard quit.

I now have a spare USB keyboard, but if I have to replace one of these computers, I can use it, or give it to a deserving friend.
FWIW my caffeine addiction kills a keyboard about every 18mo. Maybe I should just buy a crate.

jack
>I>FWIW my caffeine addiction kills a keyboard about every 18mo. Maybe I should just buy a crate.

I have a LogiTech K120 which is USB-only. I have a USB to PS/2 adapter that does not work very well; It works in Linux, but not on a raw machine, and more troubles besides, but it does claim to be spill-proof. It is less than US$20 in most places.
Advertisement