UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MeiraMeira Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308350  
Subject: Re: OT: Life at a Crossroads Date: 2/14/2007 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
> 6. Has anyone here been in a similar position?
> How did you handle it?

First off, I'm sorry that you're at a difficult spot.

There is something about death, and cancer more specifically, that pushes us to evaluate where we are and where we want to be. It clarifies to us that life is more than a big paycheck.

After I was diagnosed and went thru surgery and my treatment (just over 2 years ago now)I decided to leave my job. While I loved it in many ways, it also defined me somehow. It was the type of job that never ended. I was never "left alone". It didn't matter what was going on in my personal life - my time was NEVER mine. I felt as if I was not allowed to have any sort of personal life. At the same time this was going on my mother was dying of ovarian cancer.

I finally got the courage to leave my job and have never looked back. I don't make what I did before, but my time is more my own now. I get out of work almost every day at 5PM, except on rare occasion and that was of major importance to me. I also know that this isn't my final stop so to speak, it's a stepping stone, and that's what I needed.

Because you decide to teach today does not mean that you must teach for the next 40 years of your life. You might teach for 6 and decide that it was right for the time, but now you want to move to something else...and that's ok.

One of the good things that serious illnesses and death teaches us is that life is precious and to be lived. If you feel that you want to teach and can still meet your responsabilities - then do it and do it well. Don't spend too much time wondering and thinking about if it's the right choice. You might wake up in 5 years and still be at the very same job as you are today. Look any fear and/or nervousness in the eye and face it head on....do it....do it....do it!

And please don't let anyone that wouldn't have the courage to take this jump influence you. What is "right" for you is right for you. The same shoe doesn't fit everyone.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement