Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
> ...What you have is two properties in one--a rental and
> a second home. If it's something like a duplex, you divide
> "whole property" expenses between the two.

Thanks for the advise and for the speedy reply. I will look at IRS Pub 527.

One thing bothers me about this. It is one place upstairs and another downstairs. However the locals specifically do not class it as a duplex because there is one set of meters (electricity, gas, water) and only one water heater. Wouldn't that keep me from treating it as a duplex?

. Ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.