UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tfrommer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12880  
Subject: Re: Starbucks, CB&TL, Peets, Diedrichs...or Date: 4/27/2004 1:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
>Don't you think if they did a better job on the foods and did it more >efficiently they could raise that profit center and cut down what must >be incredible amounts of waste

Hmmm. I don't know. I spent a modest amount of time in food service (read: waiting tables and working in catering while in college) and guesstimating food need seemed a fool's errand. Never did I see an end of the day without an overage in one area and shortage somewhere else.

Regarding Starbucks, I used to work near one of their locations that did a decent lunch biz with packaged salads and sandwiches. They looked more appetizing than the breakfast items and seemed to sell through better. Plus they could probably get away with keeping something one or two days longer since they were refrigerated rather than give away the extra muffins. Any idea what the mark-up is on low-fat blueberry scones?

I must correct you on the mocha frappucino (or frozen Al Pacino as we call it). The coffee drink ne plus ultra that I was referring to was the iced mocha -- shot of espresso, pump of chocolate, milk over ice. "Venti" yum in my book. I don't get the coffee slushy things they make.

Lastly, coffee vs tea? No real forethought into which I drink when or why. Caffeine doesn't really affect me so it's not an aid to perk (groan) up in the morning, nor will it keep me up at night. Sometimes I just need the good Earl. FWIW, I had iced coffee this morning (from a mom and pop). We broke 90 degrees in SF yesterday -- easily a new record high -- and probably will again today.

--Tim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement