No. of Recommendations: 0
>> Are there any insurance products that protect against financially catastrophic health events, but that aren't a standard health plan?
Maybe... might depend on what you want for benefits, and what risks you want hedged against.

You might want a Critical Care policy.... Very different from traditional health care, disability or long term care.

The premiums at one I have seen recently run from $17 annually (for ages 18-29 with the lowest benefite tier; $500/month up to 6 months) on up to $6,100 annually (age 80-84 with the highest benefit tier; $3,000/month up to 24 months.) You can mix & match to fit the age to benefits appropriate.

It buys a specific time period of payouts, from a max of 6, 12, 18 & 24 months.
The benefits can be chosen in $500/month increments up to $3,000/month (for the period named, above.)
<<

This doesn't sound like what the OP wants, though. It sounds like they want a low cost, very high deductible catastrophic policy with essentially an extremely high deductible, as protection against an illness or injury that would wipe out a life savings -- something that would only kick in if an extremely costly condition arose.

The product you describe sounds like the opposite of what insurance should be -- covering the first small (often survivable) amount of money, but exposing you to catastrophic loss. Seems to me "insurance" should be something that protects you from catastrophic loss while allowing the insured to "cover" the smaller expenses themselves.

Am I missing something?

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement