No. of Recommendations: 0
>> For a high-income SS recipient, there's about a $20,000 advantage taking SS at 62 and doing a Withdrawal of Application at age 70 -- even when you ignore the mortality risk that if you wait until age 70 and die at 69-1/2, you've lost over $100,000. Only you can decide if your personal ouiji board is reliable enough to forgo that and bet that waiting until age 70 to collect is the optimal decision. <<

It is the "sudden death" concern as well as the potential for changes in eligibility/benefits for people not yet collecting which have me convinced that I want to collect as soon as I'm eligible. The ability to save everything I've collected and pay it back at 69 if I'm still healthy in exchange for much bigger future checks is merely a bonus.

There is something to be said about the bird in hand over the two in the bush -- especially when it comes to Social Security as it is today.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement