UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76419  
Subject: Re: Annuities Date: 2/14/2005 7:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
>> I am not sure what an annuity is or why it is beneficial to have one. When I did a (very quick) Internet search, I came up with a bunch of companies trying to sell annuities (mainly Insurance companies). Where can I find some information? or is anyone willing to explain it to me? <<

Short answer: Back away and sign *nothing* if someone is trying to sell you one. The harder they push it, the more strenuously you should back away from the pen.

Longer answer: There are different types of annuities. Some require regular contribution to pay out monthly payments at some point in the future. Some require one lump sum payment in exchange for a lifetime income stream, either starting immediately or years from now. Some require putting in a lump sum now and taking out a lump sum in the future.

Et cetera.

Annuities are sold to a lot of people for whom they make no sense. They often carry large loads and commissions. For that reason it's a good idea to be wary of them.

Having said that, the right annuity, for the right situation, not sold with a huge load, can be a good idea for a few people. Depending on how much money we're talking about, finding a good fee-only financial planner to crunch the numbers with might be a good idea. I think annuities are a bad idea for *most* of the people being sold them, but there *are* circumstances when they make sense. Hopefully a good financial planner who has no vested interest in selling an annuity could look at your *specific* situation and help steer you.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement