No. of Recommendations: 10
>> I for example always use my credit card, gas, groceries, lunches, dinners out, afternoon diet coke for MD, utility payments, etc. But I fail to see how I am spending more as everything I buy is according to a budget, groceries, utility payments, gas, etc. I would have spent the same amount had I used cash or a debit card. BUT AGAIN I WONDER WOULD I (OR OTHERS YOU DO AS I DO) HAVE BUDGETED THE SAME HAD I KNOWN THAT I WOULD BE USING CASH. I think so but I really would like to see what, if anything, the scientific literature says. Unfortunately, I have seen very very few studies of behavior regarding spending habits with a credit card, and as far as I can tell none of these looked at any other factors that might explain the behavior. <<

See, here's the thing about the "15% more spending" that Dave Ramsey always harps on. First of all, I have no trouble believing this, given what I know about human nature. However, Ramsey tends to preach to the "lowest common denominator" in terms of budget and money management skills; I suspect that's why he pretty much ALWAYS argues against using debt and why he argues for snowballing based on account balance rather than highest to lowest interest rate. He has to assume -- reasonably in most cases, IMO -- that people are prone to repeat the same mistakes they've made in the past and are going to step in it if they don't follow the steps.

Going back to the study in question, for example, that 15% increase in spending is an average. Not an across the board number. So if 3/4 of the people spend 20% more but 1/4 of the people do not spend one cent more, then we get an average of 15%. Clearly that looks like an argument for putting the plastic away even if you pay in full, but that also means that 1/4 of the people are leaving points, miles and cash back on the table unnecessarily if they follow his advice as inviolable gospel.

I suspect the problem Ramsey has with people proposing to deviate from his "teachings" is that a lot of people really do *think* "they're different" when they really aren't. These are people who "think" they can avoid running up a credit card again after consolidating them into a HELOC. These are people who "think" they can stay with a snowball by going after the highest rate first instead of the smallest balance. These are people who "think" they can use plastic for everyday purchases without spending more. But more often than not, they can't.

But for those who have demonstrated that they *can*, some of it can be taken with a grain of salt. Avoiding plastic for everyday purchases because you might "spend more" is one of them.

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement