UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (292) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59087  
Subject: Re: Health Care: We're missing the big picture, Date: 7/12/2007 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
>> Malpractice insurance premiums accounted for 0.58% of the nation's healthcare spending in 2002, while the actual claims paid out to patients (and their lawyers) were 0.38% of national healthcare spending. The total is less than 1%. <<

But the problem is, this all comes directly from their bottom line.

Think about a retailer with (say) a 10% margin on their sales after all expenses are paid (cost of goods, building rent, salaries, utilities, et cetera). They may have a million dollars in sales, but after all expenses they have $100,000 in profit.

Let's say there's some rising expense that comes to 1% of all sales. Yes, it sounds trivial, but in this case, 1% of sales turns out to be 10% of profits, as they pay the expense not only on profits, but all sales. So they wind up paying $10,000.

This "puny" 1% expense takes 1% of their income.

Also, health care spending includes a lot more than just payments to doctors. It includes spending on prescription medications, among other things, which is a pretty significant chunk of health care spending not related to activities needing malpractice insurance. So in reality, I don't think the 0.96% combined number you quote is that trivial. It still comes to about $20 billion based on 2005 health care spending. There were about 853,000 physicians in the U.S. in 2004 (source: AMA), which equates to a cost of about $23,000 per doctor. A 21.3% decline means about a $3,000 savings in malpractice insurance per doctor.

Seems significant to me.

I'm certainly not saying this is the biggest problem facing American health care affordability, but I think a lot of people who tend to side with the trial lawyers over the "evil insurance companies" downplay it more than they should (just as tort reforms overplay the impact). It's a significant impact, but not the main problem we have.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (292) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement