Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DowDanny Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Re: Gifting and Estates Date: 9/18/1998 10:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
>> My mother-in-law wants to "give" money to my wife and her brother to remove capital from her estate in anticipation of nursery home sell-off requirements or death in the future. <<

"Reducing one's estate" is legitimate, but you may have some problems if you are "disposing of assets in advance of applying for medical aid" - more later.

>> Some questions if I may...

1. Can she AND my father in law gove $10,000/year to wife and brother? <<

No problem - $20,000(10,000 from ma, 10,000 from pa) to each wife and brother. Any more than that and you run into 'tax implications'.

>> 2. Is this $10K free from income taxes for the "children"? <<

Absolutely.

>> . If in the future, she has monetary needs, and they give her some money (back), what is the effect? <<

This one is more complicated, I think - I leave general answer to TMFTaxes.
One thing to worry about is that Medicaid (and many nursing homes) look very hard on distributed assets that were given away just before entering their system. In some cases, they go back and include 'disposed' assets from up to several years earlier when determining income, assets and aid level. This can make it difficult and confusing if you are in process of selling a house or business of relative at same time elderly relative is reaching age where they need professional care. You better check carefully on the rules for the programs/places you intend to use.

But I do KNOW that you (or your wife, etc...) can make UNLIMITED contributions to the medical expenses of your parents. That means any nursing, medicines, etc... so long term care may also qualify, depending on where they are. The only hitch here is that the payment must go DIRECTLY to the provider, not to your parents to pass on to the doctors/hospitals.

Conversely, when your parents are in the 'distribution phase' they can make UNLIMITED contributions to your childrens' educational expenses {can you say "pay tuition at Harvard} as long as they do this directly to the provider. No tax consequence for either form of 'support'.

>> 4. Can they also gift teh childrens' spouses? What limits? <<

Individuals can give $10000 (tax-free to both provider and receiver) to ANY BODY (and everybody) they elect.
that is how Mrs. R. Kroc gave away millions to the flood victims of her home town. There is no limit on who may receive the gift, nor on how many people can be gifted. The only limit is "$10,000 per individual gift from each individual". Thus - your ma-and-pa could together give you-and-your-wife a total of $40,000 tax free per year.

If it gets any more complicated than that you're best off discusscing with a profressional, and not with some guy on the internet.

Good Luck !

-DD
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement