No. of Recommendations: 0
>> Now, when you eventually cash-out your old 401(k) assets, the entire
>> account balance minus the post-tax contributions is "rollable" into
>> a Rollover IRA or potentially a new 401(k) plan at a new employer. The
>> post-tax contributions themselves are not rollable and are returned to
>> you in cash as a non-taxable transaction.
>> TheBadger

> BADGER, does this mean that the interest earned on the post-tax
> contributions does not have to be distributed to me but rather
> it can be rolled over into the new tax defered accounted??

I can answer this one -- I did such a conversion just about a year ago.

I received a check representing all my post-tax contributions.

Another check went to the company where I opened my new IRA -- representing all my pre-tax contributions, matching contributions made by my company, all the accumulated earnings on those contributions and the accumulated earnings on my post-tax contributions.

So the answer to your question is "yes," except I wouldn't apply the word "interest" to the earnings. Those earnings essentially had to be included in the amount transferred into the IRA -- if not, I would have owed income tax and a 10% penalty. Guess you knew that...

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.