UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61933  
Subject: Re: Wisconsin State Health Care Reform ... Date: 7/24/2007 9:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
>> Personally, I'd rather pay my premium to a Gov't-sponsored program than let Aetna and Cigna siphon 20% to 30% off the top in overhead & profit to fund million dollar executive salaries, private jets and hunting lodges for the CEO, and hundreds of millions of dollars in back-dated stock options.

But that's just me.
<<

But here's the thing. Under this proposal, assuming it was quoted correctly, you would not pay one cent under this plan because you're not on a payroll and not subject to payroll tax.

If there's ever been a bigger giveaway to the well-to-do FIREd types, this is it. Heck, I'd expect all of them to move to Wisconsin if this passed.

Furthermore, everyone who can't get affordable insurance anywhere else can just move to Wisconsin, and the taxpayers would pick up the tab for the costliest segment of society, even if the person hadn't been paying Wisconsin taxes for much of their lives.

A payroll tax is one of the worst ways to fund health care in the general case, because it punishes work over choosing not to work. It pains me to say that as someone who hopes to FIRE within 10 years, but there's no way the taxpayers should be giving me a free ride if I have the financial goof fortunate to be able to do so. Heck, if the taxpayers gave me a free ride I could probably FIRE in 5 years, not 10.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement