Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Grahdodd One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 211703  
Subject: Re: Berkshire College Fund Date: 3/3/2013 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
>> So assuming you didn't hit a landmine in the early to mid teens, I would likely be pretty heavily in fixed income by years 15 or 16 of that plan. But that would also reduce total return.

That's a very important point. But of course not all college expenses are paid up front. The cash flow is spread out over four years, so only part of the funds would have to be placed in something less volatile at age 15-16.<<<<

Absolutely true. I'd be comfortable with 1 to 2 years tuition in Fixed at age 15 or 16. I saw too many great college savings plans get torched in 2008. I say this because my son was a Freshman in 2008 I'm really glad we went conservative on his college plan a few years before.

P.S...when he was a kid he had $700 in savings. At the time Berkshire B was at a give away price of $1400. I told him I'd match his $700 if he bought. Baby B. Now he's working in Financial Services and that 1 B split to become 50. And I think it taught him more than most college courses about the rewards of buying extraordinary businesses at fair prices.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement