UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59673  
Subject: Re: Wisconsin State Health Care Reform ... Date: 7/24/2007 10:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
>> So what's different from now? The tax laws already favor not working vs. working <<

I agree, but that's no justification for making this worse. The worse a deal working becomes versus *choosing* not to work (I'm focusing on people who have the means not to work, not those who are physically/mentally unable to work or are actively seeking work), the more people will choose not to work, IMO with potentially disastrous consequences.

>> Unearned income is treated differently than earned income. Even if you and I had identical realized incomes and identical deductions, I'd still pay lower Federal taxes than you do because unearned income is not subject to SS and Medicare taxes nor is it subject to the state disability tax. Unfair as that may be, that's the situation now. <<

True. I don't see this as a problem with Social Security because what you get out is related to what you pay in. But choosing to opt out of the work force you are not only reducing your current Social Security taxes to zero, but also agreeing to reduce your eventual payout.

Not so much with Medicare. To the extent this program as we know it should continue to exist, I think it should be funded with something other than payroll taxes. Be that as it may, with a combined employer-employee contribution of 2.9% for Medicare, it isn't the backbreaker that another 14% payroll tax would be.

>> In any case, you will be getting a "free" ride in 10 years if nothing changes. <<

Well, certainly a "discounted" ride. And I think that's not good tax policy, but I will accept it.

>> It's never made sense to me to pay $1.00 in interest to save cents in taxes. <<

Me neither. The only problem is that it means I can't write off property taxes or gifts to charity because they fall below the standard deduction. Be that as it may, that's less important than the good feeling of owning your home free and clear.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement