UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rrosenkoetter One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: need help with asset allocation Date: 1/27/2005 6:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
>> The greatest risk you face is not stock market losses, but loss of purchasing power through inflation <<

Um.. no... at retirement, the greatest risk you face is stock market losses.

We are in an on-going bear market. P/E ratios are still well above history's trend. Dividends are at all-time lows.

This is not a time to move all of one's assets into the market. Look at history. Look at every other time P/E ratios were this high. Look at the returns over the next 10-20 years. They were terrible. And those were years when dividends at least were decent, and provdied some boost. Not now.

Timing the market is impossible, but bull/bear swings do occur. We're currently in a bear. When will another bull start? I can't tell you, but it won't start with an average P/E ratio of 20. Wait for P/E ratios to drop to low teens or even single digits. That's when to start investing in broad-based index funds. Trouble is, it may take a while (last bear market went from 1966-1982)

It's hard to keep money in low-paying money market accounts... I would at least suggest this... If you're living well on the $80k, start moving some money to the market... slowly... If you have $600k, then move $5k to $10k a month into bonds/stocks (Percentages up to you). That will mean a very slow move into the market over the next 5-10 years (I'd probably always keep 100k in money markets though)

That way, you're not worrying about timing the market, and you're also not worrying about investing it all at once. I mean this is it. This is all the money you're going to have for the rest of your life. There's NO gambling with this money.

Another good book is Bull's Eye Investing. I highly recommend you read it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement