No. of Recommendations: 0
>> The question can up after I had opened a Schwab Roth IRA and decided that I would rather have a Roth with a deep discount broker so that I could set up a Foolish portfolio. I suppose I could keep both or consolidate them. <<

Yes, you're right. As long as you meet all criteria for contributing and/or rolling over into IRAs (roth or conventional), you can have as many as you like subject to the $2,000 annual limit.

So if you want to do more trading with some of it, you can open a Roth with a deep discounter, and if you want to also have the availability of a mutual fund supermarket and other services, you can keep that part with Schwab. The extra statement may be a little bit of a hassle, but it makes perfect sense to me, particularly if you can find ways around the annual fees for small accounts. (At Schwab, an IRA under $10,000 is whacked for $29 per year unless you make two commissionable trades in the year or schedule electronic deposits of at least $100 per month.)

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.