Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MDGrabhorn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: Pension Plan Date: 7/4/2001 1:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
>>Getting ready to roll over my pension plan into an IRA. Checked the figures, though, and I think my lump-sum estimate is way off. They shorted me a month on my credited service, and I think they shorted me on my average monthly pay (based on last 3 yrs) several $100's.

Also, my ex-company is using the 1983 Group Annuity Mortality Table to determine how long I'll live. This is based on 1970's insurance companies' experience. Surely, there are more recent tables out there they should be using. This table shows that I (55 yr old female) should live another 30.28 yrs. But if it's based on 1970's mortalities, shouldn't that figure be even higher now? Or am I just wishful thinking - ha?

I have asked for complete detail about how they're doing the calculations, but just wonder how many folks don't even question the numbers. I'm an accountant - nuff said - and may be slightly anal retentive, but it does worry me.

ANyone else have a like experience or hints?<<

You are not alone in this feeling of being shortchanged. A 1993 audit by the PBGC found that almost 1 in 7 people are underpaid by their pension plan, and over half of those are underpaid over $1,000.

The mortality table should be right, but whether it has errors is another matter. Also, there are other issues which you have mentioned which can significantly affect your retirement benefit.

I have started a new board on Fool.com called Pension Benefit Mistakes. Please visit me there and I will try to answer more of your questions.

If you want your benefits reviewed for accuracy, you can also visit my website at www.pensionrecovery.com

Good luck to you.

MDGrabhorn, CFP
www.pensionrecovery.com

I would be happy to review your benefit calcs for accuracy.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement