Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>> What do I do with this money? <<<

Check with your nre employer again. Many plans will allow rollovers to the plan even if you haven't met the eligibility requirements. If you don't want to / can't do this, then the best option is to roll it over to an IRA. Any investment company can help you establish this IRA.

>>> I've heard varying answers as to how long I can leave it sitting with Old Co. Not to mention, I can't contribute via Old Co. <<<

If your vested account balance is $5,000 or more, Old CO. cannot make you take the money out of the plan. If it is under this amount, they can "force" your distribution. If they notify you that they are going to do this, roll the money over as soon as possibl eto avoid taxes and penalties. IF, as you say, the accounts are doing ok, it may be ok to leave the acct balance in the Old Co. Plan until you are sure what you want to do.

As far as not being able to contribute to Old Co. Plan. That doesn't matter because you can't contribute to the New Co Plan either. Your only real option is to open an IRA and put the $2000/yr in until eligible for the 401(k)

Hope this helps!

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.