Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding:

How best to utilize my huge capital loses?

At the 3k /year it will take lifetime to write it off.

It is not just 3k per year. It is 3k in excess of your future capital gains. So if you have $1000 in capital gains in 2005, you will pay zero tax on that gain, get an additional $3000 in reduced taxable income, and lower your excess loss by $4000. Sure, it will take a while to use up your carry-over, but you will also not be paying taxes on gains along the way.

I may go back (partially) to a more risky way of investing that should produce larger gains with accompanying churning and taxes and lots of time spend tending the portfolio.

I am familiar with MI screens; some of them are quite profitable.
Being right about perceived vs. actual risk is a big task and I always have doubts about it.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.