No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>Help. Do I convert in 98, which will be a low agi,but next three years
will be big agi's or do I wait until
99 and plan on a low agi (15%) ? Is the tax on the converted IRA amount
found by multiplying 15 times the amount for 99? and paying the tax all
in 99. It may be better not to use the 4 year spread.<<<

I recommend that you spend the $30 to get some tax software to look at the options. The 1997 year Turbo Tax software has the ability to do projections. There are many factors that affect the effective tax rate, and you really need some good software to look at the various factors. By converting, it may change the amout you can claim in dependents, as well as itemized deductions. Turbo Tax has a good projection module. I don't know about the Kipplinger product.

If you don't want to do the work your self, contact a CPA that has some software, and pay a little to get the peace of mind of knowing all the options and each effect on current as well as future taxes.

Lots of Luck.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.