Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>Is there anyone out there that's working in the US as a resident Alien - and knows the ropes as it relates to (especially) Income from overseas - especially if you're only here for a year or so for work...<<


"Resident alien" is the same as "permanent resident" which is equal in tax duties to the US sitizens. Are you working in the USA with visa J-1 or H-1B? That suggests you have an income in the USA. Otherwise you are not allowed to work in this country. If this is J-1, you do not pay MED and SS taxes but pay federal and state taxes. If this is H-1B, or if you are the Green Card holder (which means "resident alien" or "permanent resident"), you pay federal, state, SS and MED taxes. If you have an income earned in the foreign country, you are supposed to pay taxes in that country.

Hope it helps.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.