Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>legm wrote: This underpayment is the result of realized capital gains so if there is no way to avoid a penalty would it be allright just to wait until next April or should I add the extra amount in the Janaury payment? So far there is no way I can offset it with any more losses.

When did you sell the property that resulted in the capital gains? You may be eligible to use the "annualized income" method/worksheet to avoid underpayment penalties. Basic idea of this method is that if you had normal income for most of the year then a big income item (i.e. a big gain on a stock sale) late in the year, you don't get hammered for underpayment penalties since the big income came at year-end.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.