Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: BubblesUp One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: IRA Burden Date: 12/29/2000 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
>>My father died in 1992 and my mother inherited his IRA.
Ok. I assume by this you mean she rolled it over into her own IRA and named you & sis as beneficiaies at that time, then made the SL/R election when she turned 70.5. The general rule in your situation is that the beneficiaries must withdraw the funds by the end of the year after your mother passes away (resulting in ordinary income to you & sis at that time). It would have been better to have done things differently prior to your mom's turning 70.5 (you are locked into the setup that was in effect at that time).

There is one possible alternative to lessen the burden. Over the last 18 months there have been several Private Letter Rulings by the IRS that allowed the children/beneficiaries, after the IRA owners death, to withdraw the IRA over the "remaining term-certain" of the oldest of the children (the remaining term-certain is calculated by looking at the beneficiary's life expectancy when mom turned 70.5, then subtracting 1 for each year that mom lived past that year). Specific PLR's were 1999-15063, 1999-51053, and 2000-18057. One caveat - in all 3 the beneficiaries were so named at the time the IRA owner turned 70.5. To my knowledge there have been no favorable rulings if no bennys were named when the owner turned 70.5. Note also that PLR's are only binding for the taxpayer who requests it and CANNOT be relied upon by others. You'd have to request a ruling for your particular situation.

Of course, if the funds in the IRA aren't substantial it may not be worth the hassle. Also if they & mom's income are minimal, you could figure out how much extra to withdraw per year & remain in either no tax or lowest tax bracket.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement