No. of Recommendations: 0

>>My question is this... Am I saving enough for retirement, and, if so, is it too early for me to start
collecting "toys"??? If I'm not saving enough for retirement, should I be more aggressive with this
extra $$$$$$$?<<

MoMoneyMoney,
Only you can answer this question! You need to develop a financial plan that includes when you plan or hope to retire and includes a savings and investment program that funds the lifestyle you hope to lead when you retire, for as long (or perhaps a little longer) than you expect to live. You also need to decide if you want to leave any significant amount of money to heirs or charities, or do you plan to leave this world close to broke.

Personally I think it is a sin to die rich, in that you should get to see and enjoy the benefits of those hard earned wages, even it you do give the money away instead of spending it on yourself.

You can do a quick financial plan on a spread sheet that estimates your expenses each year, your income, what you will put away, and investment income. Be sure to include inflation, pay raises etc. Once you've built the spreadsheet, it will allow you to start looking at what happens if you invest the money now or later. You'll also be able to track it over time to see how you are doing against the plan. This plan will tell you if you can buy the toys now or if you need to wait until later.

I've used this approach for nearly 20 years, and it has allowed me to feel comfortable that I will be able to retire at 50 even though I've purchased a few toys along the way.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement