Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>OK, I understand how to minimize taxes when my kids stocks generate income but, I'm sad to say, my kids have been losing this year. If I have to pay on their income, can I conversely deduct their losses? How about the one who turned 14 this year. <<

First, you don't have to pay taxes on their income. They (if under age 14) have to pay taxes on their income (after certain adjustments) at your rate. Of course, you can choose to include their income on your return, but that is usually not the best course of action.

Unfortunately, you I don't believe you can deduct their losses. As I recall, they carry their losses forward until such time as they can use them.

And as for your 14 year old, s/he gets to file on his/her own, at (presumably) a lower rate than you do. Of course, if s/he is still being claimed as your dependent, then they lose their personal exemption and the standard deduction is limited to $700.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.