UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolEugene Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: How being Foolish killed my FICO score Date: 4/14/2001 12:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
>>One exception may be small community banks and credit unions who may not be able to afford huge scoring models.

i dont think i understand what youre saying. do you have underwriting experience? every institution i have ever dealt with, except one which got out of the auto finance business entirely after sustaining huge losses (us bank, formerly first bank) employs professional credit analysts who look at every application. some apps are easier to decision than others, and fico scores help with the process, but they dont eliminate the other steps.

Employing a credit analyst and speculating why a certain person has certain reasons for his/her score to be not higher than it is, are totally different things. Credit analysts look at the person's credit history and other factors with the goal of determining how likely they are to repay the loan. If, for example, one of the main reasons says that too much credit is available to the person, it is for a good reason not in the credit analyst's job description to speculate why. The only things they need to know is that this means the person is a higher risk, and how much higher. The only options to get the loan at better terms are to lower the available credit, or to change other considered factors. If you do not want to change anything, accept this offer or shop for a better deal with a lender that will accept higher risk, or look at your factors differently.

What I meant by huge scoring models is not the report and the score, of course, but all the additional analysis that creditors build on top of and in addition to FICO. Capital One or Bank of America will certainly have more extensive proprietary database of past account performance. And I am sure they analyze that data to death because it pays big time to estimate the risks as correctly as possible.

They have to share some of this info with Fair Isaac to constantly improve the formula for FICO, but FICO does not consider some of the factors. Creditors do, so they can study that data more closely.

Smaller banks might not have access to such huge information and they need to hire another company and/or supplement FICO by more subjective and individual analysis of their own. That is a good thing for people who do not have a glamorous score to dazzle creditors with, but have good reasons to explain why, or have a long term positive relation with their banks. Big creditors are not motivated to listen.

By the way, being such a big bank, it's funny how Chase's logo is "The right relationship is everything". But that's another story...

Answering your question, no, I am not an underwriter. Just extremely interested in credit and banking industry.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement