No. of Recommendations: 0
>>WHOA!!! What happened to the "wealth effect"? More money in my retirement account is supposed to make me feel wealthy and I am supposed to spend more.

Well, your argument is a little illogical. You have X dollars to save or spend. If you save more, you must spend less. If people quit spending, economic growth will slow or reverse. Lack of spending, both consumer and corporate, is what US recessions are usually blamed on. On the other hand, more saving=more investment, which is supposed to grow the economy.

I wonder what's going to happen as retirement plan option maximums increase over the next few years. Will our savings rate go up? Is that a good thing?

Nick

Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement