No. of Recommendations: 0
>I am considering moving a 6 figure IRA to a Roth IRA,
>paying income taxes on gains now vs. 14 years from
>now when I access money. Reason for this is I expect
>minimum income tax rate in 98. Sooo, what say you
>fools. I dont know whether to pay Uncle Sam now at 15
>percent tax on gains or pay in 14 years at who knows
>what! Input is much appreciated.

Hm. I may be mistaken, but I think that when you convert a regular IRA to a Roth IRA, the converted amount is treated like regular income. So when you convert that 6-figure amount, either you get six figures' worth of extra income in 1998-- which would probably put you over the income limit for doing a Roth conversion-- or you take a fourth of that as income in each of 1998-2001, which will most likely put you out of the 15% bracket.

YMMV, and TMFPixy may have something to say, but I'd advise you to talk this over carefully with a competent tax dude before you proceed. You can make this switch any time through Dec. 31, and the tax consequences will be more or less the same...
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.