Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

>I have a property outside of US. I'd like to sell it and bring the money to US. What are the tax consequences?

If you are a US citizen or US resident, you are required to report income earned from worldwide sources. So you would have to identify the property and show the gain or loss on your tax return in the year of sale. Any gain would be taxable. A loss may or may not be deductible depending upon a number of circumstances.

This is absolutely true, if you sell it yourself. Whether you "repatriate" the gain or not, you are taxable on it.

There are, however, some very sophisticated (and legal, of course - I'm not talking about sham Belize corporations or the like peddled by crooks) means of deferring, and possibly avoiding, gains on a sale like this. However, due to the complexity and costs involved, it's usually only worth it if the gain is $500,000 to $1,000,000 or more.

Chris Riser
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.