UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Zee64 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Merrill Lynch/Index Funds Date: 3/10/1999 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

>Why are you opening an account at Merrill?

>Think about the answer. If you just do not know what you want to do it maybe worth it. The firm is good. But expensive.

> If you know what you want to do, the index fund for one, go to a no load mutual fund and get one. The fund will help you
transfer the money and set up the account. The performance of the same type of index fund should be similar between firms
before they take their fees. Therfore go with a large mutual fund family with a low expense ratio. Not ML for this money.>

Thank you guys for your replies so far. Again, the reason for going with Merrill is because we are new at this, and Merrill is the company that is handling my husband's new job's sep account. When I get my rollover from a job I just left, it's going to go to a discount broker account for stock purchases. But my husband is more comfortable with this now, and we'll probably move out of Merrill at a later date when we know a lot more, (or he finally gets ticked off enough.)

Thanks for your help,

Zee64
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement