UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35363  
Subject: Guessing the inflation rate - February Date: 2/28/2006 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since we are fast approaching the end of February, and as a follow-up thread to this good one from last week - http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23740167&sort=whole, it may be time to guess the February CPI numbers. Don't we do this every month? :-)

I'll start, not with a guess, but rather with some anecdotal information regarding gasoline prices. From my quick glance at the prices every time I pass a few gas stations on the way to work every morning, it seems to me that gasoline prices (at least here in South Florida) have been declining steadily throughout the month are are at a monthly low today.

So, just based on this tiny bit of anecdotal information, my guess for CPI would be zero or a bit below zero for the month.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15603 of 35363
Subject: Re: Guessing the inflation rate - February Date: 2/28/2006 4:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Yes, gas prices have declined significantly in February. And since retail always trails wholesale, it would be more of a steady ride down at the pump than this graph shows.

http://www.alaron.com/quotes.php?action=chart&iFSsymbols=HUH06

With the large impact of energy prices on monthly CPI, I agree that I have a hard time seeing any inflation for the month.

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15606 of 35363
Subject: Re: Guessing the inflation rate - February Date: 2/28/2006 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 0
Having filled up a couple of days ago for the first time in about 3 weeks, and not remembering the previous amount, though being pleasantly surprised at paying under $2.30, I'm too uninformed to wager a guess. I'll go along with whatever anecdotal evidence those of you who fill up more often and have less creeping senility want to go with.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement