UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66227  
Subject: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I use Time Capsule as our wireless router (as well as a Time Machine backup).

Just saw an article in news about setting up a guest network in Windows on a wireless Linksys router.

There have been times when a house guest has needed to use my wireless network settings - sometimes I'm not all that comfortable with giving out my access code.

Can anyone give me a step by step routine to set up a guest network using our Time Capsule Router capabilities w/o giving our guests my private access code....

thx for any guidance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: nml Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60980 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hey Tuni,

Will this link help??

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3813578?start=0&tst...

Mick

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60981 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 3:24 PM
hey Mick,

tried it - all worked fine, (easy, I thought) until I got to the end after verifying Guest Password - requiring me to "update" - when I tried that, I got an announcement that my Network would be "temporarily unavailable" - that scared the #$%@ out of me,so I cancelled the whole thing.

Don't understand why my Network would be unavailable and didn't want to screw up my existing.....

Do you think I should have "continued"????? don't know what the ramifications were going to be....

<sigh> have you ever tried it?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60982 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 2

Don't understand why my Network would be unavailable and didn't want to screw up my existing.....

any 'serious' change to the network it has
to shut down while it effectively re-boots

takes less than a minute ... not to worry

I have done it
Not entirely sure what we gain from a guest network
(>:

Author: nml Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60983 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 4:15 PM
Do you think I should have "continued"?????.......<sigh> have you ever tried it?

I've added (and occasionally made intermittent configurations to my current setup) a guest network in the past. I don't use the Apple router, but the principal is the same.

The reboot shouldn't mess anything up..

It's either have an open network, give folks your network key or don't allow them access.... kind of limits your options.

Holler if you have problems....

Mick

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60984 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 4:26 PM
Most guests I don't have a problem - however a sibling is bringing his gf and I just don't get good vibes.....

tuni (sometimes rightfully paranoid)

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60985 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 4:28 PM
its not necessarily the "potential gain" rather the potential loss in this particular case.....
Will try it tomorrow and let you know.

thx for the responses

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60986 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 4:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
its not necessarily the "potential gain" rather the potential loss in this particular case.....

same-ish ... not sure what could be lost that a guest-network prevents

..... Nuttin wrong with a big of paranoid

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60987 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 4:46 PM
Tuni as has been said, this is normal. It typically lasts for 35 to 50 seconds. In my experience you can change anything except maybe channels without going through that process.

Since you are a person who really likes backups and backups of your backups, fire up Airport Utility, select your TC, click on the File Menu in AP Utility and "Export" the configuration file. This is all your settings, passwords, etc. It is really designed for moving from TC (or Airport) #1 to #2 -- just "Import" with the new box. Being lazy, I have done this.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60988 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 4:55 PM

I was under the impression - perhaps incorrectly - that if you give someone the password to your regular network, they will have access to any shared drives, but they wouldn't on a guest network. I have a shared drive that I use for extra storage - nothing earthshattering on it but it's not something I necessarily want other people accessing. I could password protect it separately but 99% of the time I'm the only person in the house. It's easier to set up a guest network for the occasional guest.

Karen

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60989 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/1/2012 5:12 PM

---------
I was under the impression - perhaps incorrectly - that if you give someone the password to your regular network, they will have access to any shared drives, but they wouldn't on a guest network. I have a shared drive that I use for extra storage -

thanks...... been so long since i've had multiple machines sharing ... i forgot about the concept.

... i just have all sharing set to OFF

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61004 of 66227
Subject: Re: Guest access to wireless network Date: 10/3/2012 10:18 AM
Mick et al:

I did it - set up the guest network. Easy! It appears on the Airport Network so guess I did it correctly. Of course, I could check.....

many thanks for all the help.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement