UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: IronBeard One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Guide to Winning Bond Strategy Date: 12/3/2006 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm starting to think about restructuring my portfolio from primarily growth-oriented to more of a preservation/income stance. I'm not planning any immediate changes -- still got some time until retirement. But I've got to start learning now if I ever expect to make intelligent decisions.

Has anybody read the book "The Only Guide to a Winning Bond Strategy You'll Ever Need" by Larry Swedroe and Joseph Hempen? I seriously doubt its the only guide I'll ever need, but it got a recommendation from the personal finance writer on my local paper today. And there are a few positive reviews on Amazon. It sounds like it might be a place to start.

Any recommendations (for or against) from the members of this board?
Thanks!

-- Bob

Print the post Back To Top
Author: blearynet Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18979 of 35345
Subject: Re: Guide to Winning Bond Strategy Date: 12/3/2006 9:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I just bought it for the same purpose. I am finding it highly readable, clearly written, and it even has a sense of humor. Excellent book.

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18981 of 35345
Subject: Re: Guide to Winning Bond Strategy Date: 12/4/2006 7:49 AM
Bob,

Why don't you start with our FAQs (they don't cost anything).

Here's a link to part 1

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24863947

Part 2 is about a week back in the posts, and part 3 was yesterday. Part 4, on funds, should be done soon (possibly today).

If you are serious about a "preservation/income stance," you don't need a "winning" bond strategy. If you want to learn how to trade or do bond picking in the low investment grade corporate or junk end, there is a lot to learn. But for preservation, trying to stay above inflation (I'm aiming for 2-3% above inflation, with little risk to principal), you basically need to know what the options are, which are covered in the FAQs, and enough about them to decide which to use at any given time, at least making "best guess."

Author: blearynet Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18984 of 35345
Subject: Re: Guide to Winning Bond Strategy Date: 12/4/2006 4:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
Lokicious, your points are valid. I don't like the title of the book, either. But the contents have been extremely helpful to me in understanding the bond market. And I like having the information in a book, for when I don't feel like sitting at my computer and staring at a screeen. Maybe you, too, can write a book: )

Author: mkt Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19008 of 35345
Subject: Re: Guide to Winning Bond Strategy Date: 12/5/2006 10:09 PM
The book is clear and concise. An excellent resouce for understanding all types of bonds. Swedroe is straightforward and takes the "keep it simple approach". I highly recommend the book.

MKT

Author: IronBeard One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19062 of 35345
Subject: Re: Guide to Winning Bond Strategy Date: 12/10/2006 6:46 PM
Thanks for the opinions.

I am (and have been) following Loki's advice of reading the FAQs and reviewing old messages on the board. I haven't been to a book store yet, but I'll check it out when I'm there.

Thanks again.

-- Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement