Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17992  
Subject: HA!!!! Date: 2/8/2013 3:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've suspected this.... and I thought Ford was running a big risk....

.... and apparently I was right!!! HA!

Why is the MKZ late?

According to online employee forums..... it's leaky panoramic sun-roofs!

I thought this would bite Ford. Even though nobody had experience with such a huge sliding glass roof (it's basically most of the roof and slides rearward over the rear window!) inside Ford or outside Ford, the decision was made to tool up for production without any prototypes.

Yeah.... :P

I kept "joking" that the wind would catch the inclined, open sunroof and make this thing a nightmare, including the possibility of it ripping off at high speed.... and almost certainly a source of incredible noise at high speed. So far, that hasn't been discussed.

But it leaks.

Why? I don't know.... but it's a huge expanse of glass that has to closely fit a welded steel assembly (the roof).

Bummer.... I feel sorry for the sunroof guy. He's a good, experienced guy and the full weight of Ford management is probably coming down on his head.... and demanding daily updates. :P Probably coming down on the roof guy too.... can't remember who that was now....

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wp100 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17402 of 17992
Subject: Re: HA!!!! Date: 2/8/2013 4:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Rob, is the new MKZ even on the road yet? I recently received a mailer from the local Lincoln dealer to comes see it, but I've not seen one on the road yet.

That's really bad news on the sunroof!

Wally

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17403 of 17992
Subject: Re: HA!!!! Date: 2/8/2013 5:27 PM
I don't think any have hit the road yet.

They've been saying that they're working to ensure great panel fits, but that doesn't make sense to me.

The key to great fits is proper design, which includes having only *one* way for things to fit together. It's possible to have some adjustability in some body panels, but the interior panels only go together one way.... with no adjustment. If there is an error that they want to fix, they have to change the tools and make new parts. I'm sure there was some of that, but all the changes should have been done long ago.

Assuming the leak issue is true, that might be hard to fix. I'd have to still be there to understand the full scope of the issue and how it is being addressed..... but then I wouldn't feel free to be commenting on it here. ;) You could change sheet metal (very expensive and takes a long time), change the glass (expensive, but should be faster) or change the seals (a variable cross section seal to bridge a non-standard gap would be cheap and fast..... but I wouldn't think it would be a very robust type of fix). So, unless there is a total fiasco, I'd *guess* they'll change the curvature of the glass.

That's assuming it isn't an issue with noise (which was one of my concerns). If it's noise, that would be very difficult to fix.... maybe not even possible.

Rob

Author: wp100 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17404 of 17992
Subject: Re: HA!!!! Date: 2/9/2013 9:14 AM
Thanks, Rob. It tends to remind me of the T-top issues we had when they first came out when I was a Service Zone Manager for Ford!

Wally

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17406 of 17992
Subject: Re: HA!!!! Date: 2/10/2013 9:09 PM
I wish Ford would stop trying to outgimick everyone, and simply come up with long-lasting solutions that work, very well. I tired long ago of the buggy items in Audis and BMWs, and Ford isn't winning me over with me-too and more crap.

Build a great car, and make it greater.

Author: SkepikI One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17408 of 17992
Subject: Re: HA!!!! Date: 2/11/2013 11:16 AM
G R O A N... the onset of management hubris disease. Never good for shareholders. Next cancer of the rectum followed by blockage, resulting in.....ugh.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement