Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ha, I just had the exact same experience! The receipt for my November 1992 purchase:

486DX 33 MHz
4 MB RAM
3.5" drive
120 MB hard drive
40 MB tape backup drive
256KB Trident VGA card
Sound Blaster
14" Monitor
Windows 3.1
DOS 5.0 - even came with an assembly language programming reference manual for all the DOS system calls.

(Well, my parents' purchase, not mine personally, though I was 95% the user of it. It was our second family computer, after a Tandy 1000.)

For $3100 and change (this is from memory, don't have the receipt here.) Guess I didn't shop quite as efficiently as you; the tape backup and sound card wouldn't account for that entire difference.

I still have the machine in a box, though haven't tried to boot it up for at least ten years. Can't part with the thing - it was my first exposure to real programming (assembly and C, moving up from Basic), real gaming (Doom, Civilization), as well as all sorts of hardware hacking (it eventually acquired a 1MB SVGA card, Gravis Ultrasound, 14.4 kbps modem, and Zip drive.)
Print the post  

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement