Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Ha! Taught Myself A Thing or Two! Date: 8/1/2004 4:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I knit. I knit pretty well, if I do say so myself. My cables are beautiful, my stitches are even, I knit true to the gauge on the yarn wrapper. But there are a whole slew of things that I'm either very rusty on or never learned. (And everything other than casting on, casting off, knit,and purl I've taught myself from books and websites because I'm A) too cheap,and B) too busy to take knitting classes.)

With the help of my knitting "how-to" book I taught myself how to slip stitches a few months ago. Tonight, I taught myself a yarn over while knitting as well as a PSSO (pass slipped stitch over). These things aren't hard, but I never knew what the notations meant or how to do it with out dropping a stitch. It took a few tries to realize that it wasn't a dropped stitch - it was eyelet! Right were it's supposed to be! I'll be damned! :)

I'm ashamed to admit that my increases are poor and my decreases ungraceful (though effective). I've never made a sweater or knit anything that required any major amount of shaping. I've never tried picking up stitches off a finished edge and I've only made fringe once. I've also never been able to figure out intarsia or stranding for color work. In fact, I'm totally intimidated by coolor work on the whole.

But I'm happy because tonight I finally figured out one of the things that had me totally intimidated (the yo). :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement