UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884567  
Subject: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 10/31/2012 3:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Place an empty bowl outside your door with a sign that says, "Please take only one."
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PortlandEric One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868515 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 10/31/2012 3:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
When I was a kid and we found houses like this we'd egg and TP them.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868516 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 10/31/2012 3:58 PM
Why make little kids cry?

Seriously people are more of a Grinch over Halloween then they are over Christmas.

Lara Amber

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868517 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 10/31/2012 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 8

When I was about 18, some of the neighborhood kids did exactly this. The problem is that got caught and were arrested for criminal damage and malicious trespass. Their parents had to pay for the cleanup and paint repairs. The kids ended up having to do a lot of community service and having a criminal record at ages 12-13.

All this for being upset at a house running out of candy.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868518 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 10/31/2012 7:05 PM
Recommendations: 5
<< Place an empty bowl outside your door with a sign that says, "Please take only one.">>

Be sure it's a bowl you can afford to lose.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868523 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/1/2012 10:50 AM
Recommendations: 2

Wow, talk about a bunch of entitled brats. How did you know the owner hadn't actually put candy out and it wasn't already taken by other neighborhood kids?

Author: PortlandEric One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868524 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/1/2012 1:08 PM
Recommendations: 0
It's "trick or treat" correct? If they don't give you a treat you perform a trick.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868525 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/1/2012 1:39 PM

Youngens! When I was a kid we used to tip over or move the outhouse 6 or 5 feet back.
;-)

C.J.V. - and then there was the burning bag of dog do-do on the porch, yes

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868526 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/1/2012 2:46 PM
Recommendations: 5
It's "trick or treat" correct? If they don't give you a treat you perform a trick.

Vandalism and smearing salmonella on someone's house isn't much of a "trick" in my book.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868547 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/3/2012 5:46 PM
Recommendations: 3
Vandalism and smearing salmonella on someone's house isn't much of a "trick" in my book.

Pretty reflective of how societal norms have changed. An egg, smashed and dried on the side of somebody's house, is not going to wipe out the city with an epidemic. And TPing, properly performed, doesn't do any damage to anything.

In fact it is the general harmlessness of such pranks that made them acceptable "tricks" in the minds of the older generations. I mean the kids weren't smashing out windows or burning things, etc. At least the good kids weren't.

We all seem to exaggerate the negatives of whatever we don't like these days. I mean the statement I quoted above sounds - to me - like something you would hear from one political candidate about another. It's got that quality of taking one meaningless event and twisting it into an anti-something soundbite.

If my house ever gets egged and TPed, I'm going to be annoyed about having to clean it up. That's the fullest extent of the damage.

xtn

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868549 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/3/2012 6:02 PM
Pretty reflective of how societal norms have changed. An egg, smashed and dried on the side of somebody's house, is not going to wipe out the city with an epidemic. And TPing, properly performed, doesn't do any damage to anything.

In fact it is the general harmlessness of such pranks that made them acceptable "tricks" in the minds of the older generations. I mean the kids weren't smashing out windows or burning things, etc. At least the good kids weren't.

I wonder if the change in attitude has anything to do with changes in neighborhoods. Back in my day kids ran around together and played outside. They were in and out of each others homes and were acquainted with the various parents. So they often had a very good idea who would ignore the egging, who would catch them and hand them a bucket in order to clean up the mess, who would call their parents and who might call the police.

These days kids are often more likely to be playing indoors with computer games, and often they would be in their individual homes rather than hanging out at someone's home. Therefore they don't know the parents (in terms of likely reaction) and the parents don't know the kids (in terms of who was likely to play a prank).

I think the problem lies more with the larger change of not knowing how people are likely to react, rather than politics.

Nancy

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868553 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/3/2012 11:34 PM
Recommendations: 7

If my house ever gets egged and TPed, I'm going to be annoyed about having to clean it up. That's the fullest extent of the damage.

My example was back in the early 80's and it did damage. Eggs damaged the wood siding and shutter paint job, along with damage to a 4 month old car. The TP got into the pool in the back yard and screwed up the filter system.

At that point, it's not a funny harmless prank anymore. I imagine once the damage was discovered, the insurance required a police report, thus that police did an investigation. The owners didn't know who did it, however once the police got involved they were easy to track down. Apparently they were quite proud of their work as they bragged to half their grade.

My original point was that exacting revenge by TPing or egging someones house because you didn't get a mini sized snickers bar can have unforeseen results. The police aren't going to care much that it was all "done in fun" once there is real property damage.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868561 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/4/2012 1:30 PM
If you live in a neighborhood with a high proportion of Orthodox Jewish , even that isn't necessary.

I'd guess my neighborhood is about 30% Orthodox, and we don't get any trick-or-treaters.

Years ago one of my gentile neighbors told me she took her kids to a different neighborhood, since the pickings were so slim in our area.

SJK

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868565 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/4/2012 8:25 PM

Florida, with a 25% retired population, is one of those states with "stand your ground" laws - so maybe it's the older generation who got fed up with people's kids acting like Lord of the Flies if they didn't get the free candy they wanted.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868571 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/5/2012 8:25 AM
I think the problem lies more with the larger change of not knowing how people are likely to react, rather than politics.

Nancy

I think you are probably right.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868572 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/5/2012 8:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
My original point was that exacting revenge by TPing or egging someones house because you didn't get a mini sized snickers bar can have unforeseen results.

Fair enough. I wasn't thinking about moron kids. I egged a few houses in my youth - but never on a painted surface. I never personally participated in a TPing, but with any prank I would have been mindful of possible damages. I realize they can be considered markers on the same sliding scale, but I think there is a difference between a prank and vandalism.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868573 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/5/2012 8:41 AM
Florida, with a 25% retired population, is one of those states with "stand your ground" laws - so maybe it's the older generation who got fed up with people's kids acting like Lord of the Flies if they didn't get the free candy they wanted.

MetroChick,

I'm willing to bet you actual US legal tender that no argument involving egging or TPing on Halloween was ever raised in the effort to legislate such laws, and further that no case was ever defended by such laws wherein the defendant was protecting against the actions of a Halloween egger or TPer. You aren't even limited to Florida; proof from any US state having "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine" laws is acceptable.

Prove me wrong and I'll paypal you one hundred dollars.

xtn

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868575 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/5/2012 12:45 PM
I'm willing to bet you actual US legal tender that no argument involving egging or TPing on Halloween was ever raised in the effort to legislate such laws, and further that no case was ever defended by such laws wherein the defendant was protecting against the actions of a Halloween egger or TPer. You aren't even limited to Florida; proof from any US state having "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine" laws is acceptable.

My point is it seems to be the states with older populations - and not necessarily more violent crime - that are passing these "stand your ground" laws - so the oldies nowadays don't seem to have the patience with other people's children oldies in past generations did.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868577 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/5/2012 1:00 PM
My point is it seems to be the states with older populations - and not necessarily more violent crime - that are passing these "stand your ground" laws - so the oldies nowadays don't seem to have the patience with other people's children oldies in past generations did.

Citation needed. Especially since Stand Your Ground has been on the books for decades, it went to the Supreme Court in 1895 and 1921. 32 states have Stand Your Ground/Castle Doctrine on the books.

Castle Doctrine is the law that you have a right to defend your own in your domicile, you don't need to try to flee your home or figure out the intentions of the intruder. Stand Your Ground extends that to say you don't need to be in your house for the same ideas of self-defense to be used. It's to keep people from getting sued by the family of the deceased and lawyers arguing "well yeah he had a knife and was ordering you into the alley, but couldn't you have just run away, how do you know he didn't just want to show you the graffiti?" Many of the recent new laws have been clarifying and codifying ideas that had already been reflected in many previous court cases. They aren't justifications for vigilante justice or being a jerk.

Lara Amber

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868580 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/5/2012 3:57 PM

My point is it seems you are trying to suggest this has some relationship to an intolerance for kids in costume playing pranks on Halloween, when it does not.

You might be right about older groups favoring such laws, but I think that has to do with older people believing they have a right to protect themselves and their families from real criminals who may intend bodily harm or worse. I happen to agree with them, but that in no way relates to my feelings about Halloween pranksters.

xtn

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868600 of 884567
Subject: Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date: 11/6/2012 5:42 PM
Have a hurricane. I didn't have to give out any candy at all this year.

GSF

:-(

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement