UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189637  
Subject: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/2/2013 8:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mom and dad gave me an old tower and monitor they weren't using any more. It's running Vista Home Premium SP 2.

Should I go to Windows 7? Or 8?

I am going to create a bootable usb with ubuntu, but DH prefers windows. We plan to retire our aging laptop and get him an ipad (I have one) and just use those and have the desktop for itunes and whatever.

Thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

-Molly
Print the post Back To Top
Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183594 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/2/2013 8:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Nothing wrong with Vista - Plenty wrong w/8 - no need to go to 7

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183595 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/2/2013 8:37 PM
Molly my vote would be for Win7 - two reasons

#1 I am biased for Win7 or bigoted against Win8 - your choice
#2 Win7 is more like traditional Windows in terms of the User Interface.

All that said, there is this thing called reality. You may not be able to find Win7 - Microsoft quit making it months ago. So if you think you want Win7, get at finding it now!

In either case you need to be sure about a couple of points -

#1 Will the hardware run the OS of your choice. Go to Microsoft and search for Windows 7 (or Windows 8) compatibility. This will take you to a site with information and a program you can download to "test" your computer. If the Microsoft says yes marginally - probably using that OS is a mistake. Microsoft tends to say Yes when you can run the OS, but nothing else along with the OS. If RAM is your issue, that can be upgraded easily on almost all PCs.

#2 Drivers -- you will need to check out the PC manufacturer's website. Generally speaking all Vista PCs will be OK with Win7.

I have heard some issues with Win8 upgrades generally -- Another reason to be cautious about Win8.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183596 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/2/2013 9:51 PM
Thnx for input! I tried out the beta w8 and didn't mind it too much. But this computer from my folks won't do the stuff that w8can do, so what's the point? I'll see if I can get w7, like second poster said, it might not be available. Thnx again!

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183597 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/2/2013 10:22 PM
You will not gain anything by going to 7 although it is somewhat better

W8 is a dog!

Author: op456op Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183599 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/2/2013 11:23 PM
It's available through Amazon at least. I didn't check others like Newegg, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%...

But would still run the MS compatibility test to see if it's a fit for the system, e.g. how much memory and CPU speed do you have? Will it run Win 7?

As others stated, nothing wrong w/Vista if it's not giving you problems and based on what you want to use it for. I would consider a clean re-install/refresh of the OS if you have disk/recovery partition. Don't know if you want to save any data that's on there but if so, back it up first. And D/L the SP's for it first too if you do the re-install.

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183602 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/3/2013 7:24 AM
Thanks again everyone for input. Yup, probably should reinstall os and thanks for suggestion re SP's. nothing in there currently that I need, obviously.

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183603 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/3/2013 9:56 AM
Recommendations: 4
Nothing wrong with Vista - Plenty wrong w/8 - no need to go to 7

Absolutely this. There is nothing the least bit wrong with Vista, and to date, not a single person has been able to give me a coherent argument on why it "sucks." Sure, it's not quite the super mega leap beyond XP that Microsoft had been promising for what seemed like a decade, but it's solid, secure (for Microsoft, anyway), and generally stays out of my way, which is more than anybody can say of 8. As for 7... sure, I suppose if you just happen to have an unused license sitting around, you could upgrade, but why spend the money if you don't?

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183604 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/3/2013 11:18 AM
I did the jump from Vista 64 Home Premium to Win 8 Pro on a desktop. All my stuff mostly worked with few problems--just needed newer versions or drivers for some stuff (free for Win 8 from the mfrs).

I switched because the computer was built in 2007 and many of the newer capabilities I wanted did not exist on that old hardware. You will face the same questions--so think about it. The cheap update to Win 8 is gone.....

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183605 of 189637
Subject: Re: Hand-me-down Computer with Vista, What Now? Date: 2/3/2013 1:45 PM
I'm still running Win Vista. It seems to run fine for my purposes.

For an old machine, you might look into ram expansion to the max.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement