UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 976  
Subject: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/15/2009 9:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hope it's okay to ask here (and apologies if my terminology isn't right).

My father has handicapped plates on one of their cars and a hang tag for the other. And yes, he definitely needs the plates/tag.

If we're driving him someplace in our car (with the hang tag) and drop him off at a more accessible entrance, because the handicapped parking space is too far for him to walk, I'm guessing we shouldn't use the handicapped parking space, especially if we'll be picking him up after the event.

Am I right in thinking that if he's not actually using the parking space, we should park in a regular space.

Does that change if he makes the trek to the parking lot?

Thanks ~~ Alison
Print the post Back To Top
Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 948 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/15/2009 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey Alison,

How're y'all doing these days? Well I hope.

Hope it's okay to ask here...

That's what the board is for, disability related issues. :-)

Am I right in thinking that if he's not actually using the parking space, we should park in a regular space.

I know you've probably already done this, but let's see what the VA DMV has to say about this before I offer my opinion...

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/disability/rights....

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/disability/questio...

...Obviously, not much.

Well, to get the official answer, y'all might be better off asking them directly...

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/utilities/contact.asp

...but now I'll offer my opinion.

I think that you do have the right to use the disabled parking space because you are transporting an individual who is legally disabled and has a legal handicap parking placard in possession. Even if you pick him up at the curb, he would have to wait longer if you had to park further out because the parking lot is busy and that by itself could cause problems for him.

Bill

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 951 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/15/2009 3:04 PM
I know you've probably already done this, but let's see what the VA DMV has to say about this before I offer my opinion...

Actually, we're in upstate NY at the moment, but checking the DMV site would be a smart thing to do -- I'm sure glad you're such a smart person!

I think that you do have the right to use the disabled parking space because you are transporting an individual who is legally disabled and has a legal handicap parking placard in possession. Even if you pick him up at the curb, he would have to wait longer if you had to park further out because the parking lot is busy and that by itself could cause problems for him.

I appreciate your response, which makes a good deal of sense, but again, checking the local DMV online couldn't hurt.

How're y'all doing these days? Well I hope.

Overall, things are okay; some things are fine; others, well, there's room for improvement.

Thanks for asking, and I hope you and your family are all doing well.

Thanks again, my friend!

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 952 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/15/2009 3:27 PM
Recommendations: 0

Okay, here's what NY says:

<snip>
Use of the parking spaces reserved for the diabled only if you have the license plates or parking permit, and only when the person with a disability is driving or riding in the vehicle.

and
<snip>
The person to whom the license plate or permit was issued must be traveling in the vehicle in order to use thses spaces.

So I'm interpreting that as a bit more limited -- if I drop my father off at the curb, then he's no longer riding in the vehicle, and therefore, I can't used the parking space.

Somehow, I don't think saying "he was in the car" or "he'll be in the car after I pick him up" will suffice. Debating semantics or verb tenses doesn't seem like a good idea.

~~ Alison

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 953 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/15/2009 5:19 PM
Hey Alison,

Overall, things are okay; some things are fine; others, well, there's room for improvement.

Thanks for asking, and I hope you and your family are all doing well.

Thanks again, my friend!

Seems like there's always room for improvement in life, eh? Glad to hear that things are well overall though. Y'all hang in there.

I'm doing well, but Linda's in pain right now. She strained a muscle in her lower back yesterday and I took her to the MD in the afternoon. Now I just gotta keep her down while she recoups. And we're looking for a house to buy. Overall though, we're doing well too.

The person to whom the license plate or permit was issued must be traveling in the vehicle in order to use thses spaces.

Which is purty standard everywhere and means that as long as you're transporting a disabled person who has a placard you do have the right to use the handicap parking spaces.

Somehow, I don't think saying "he was in the car" or "he'll be in the car after I pick him up" will suffice.

Well, why not ask a police officer if you can't find the info Online? I'll bet you'll find out that it's OK.

Bill

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 954 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/15/2009 11:30 PM
I'm doing well, but Linda's in pain right now. She strained a muscle in her lower back yesterday and I took her to the MD in the afternoon. Now I just gotta keep her down while she recoups.

Hope she feels better soon -- please send her my best. I'm really glad you're doing well!

And we're looking for a house to buy.

You hoping to stay in the same general area or relocate? Hope you find something that's just right!

~~ Alison

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 955 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/16/2009 9:40 AM
Hope she feels better soon -- please send her my best.

She said, "Thanks!"

I'm really glad you're doing well!

Yeah, me too. :-)

You hoping to stay in the same general area or relocate?

Yeah, purty much...Maybe Goochland even, but not much further if we can help it.

Bill

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 958 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/19/2009 9:07 AM

Just an update -- no problems, it all worked out just fine, and the event (school graduation) had lots of folks needing special parking and we arrived in enough time to find spaces. Not only that, the school had golf carts so walking could be at a minimum for those whose needs warranted it.

Thanks again!

~~ Alison

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 959 of 976
Subject: Re: Handicapped Parking Date: 5/19/2009 12:05 PM
Recommendations: 3
Just an update -- no problems, it all worked out just fine...

Cool beans.

Not only that, the school had golf carts so walking could be at a minimum for those whose needs warranted it.

Awesome! Obviously those folks care and thought about everyone.

Bill

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement