UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4957  
Subject: Handyman Date: 10/26/2012 10:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How does one go about aquiring a good handyman?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4670 of 4957
Subject: Re: Handyman Date: 10/26/2012 10:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I was just agonizing over this question upon buying my rental property. For years, I relied upon an old college friend who was an art student/carpenter, someone I could give a key to with no qualms (I think he still has a key to my house) Alas, he had to move away.

I had to have a roof put on recently, and came by the roofing company through reference from my neighbor. The roofing company also gave me free inspections on the homes I looked at, and I was impressed with their professionalism. So, I asked them about a handyman service. I was really pleased with the guy I ended up with. Not as cheap as my friend, but who would expect that, anyway?

Do you know any realtors? My realtor also had given me some names. Angie's List isn't big in my area, so I couldn't turn to them. Basically, I guess I'm saying that if you've worked with any other trades in the recent past, you might ask those people who they would recommend.

Rita

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4671 of 4957
Subject: Re: Handyman Date: 10/26/2012 12:50 PM
I'm wholly a word of mouth guy. You might ask at stores selling paint or lumber but I'd consider their suggestions as leads, not as recommendations. When you narrow the list, ask to see examples of their work and talk with the folks who paid them or with the tenants who live with their work.

KennyO

Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4672 of 4957
Subject: Re: Handyman Date: 10/27/2012 10:33 AM
Or you could get lucky like my wife and I and have a really good handyman move into one of your rentals and use him for all of them.

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4673 of 4957
Subject: Re: Handyman Date: 10/27/2012 11:53 AM
Or you could get lucky like my wife and I and have a really good handyman move into one of your rentals and use him for all of them.

That's the best plan I've heard yet.

or not. at all.

-n8 (second the 'ask neighbors/word of mouth' suggestion)

Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4674 of 4957
Subject: Re: Handyman Date: 10/29/2012 10:29 AM
Plan???? lol

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4681 of 4957
Subject: Re: Handyman Date: 11/12/2012 11:33 AM
we are always on the look for great handymen/women. We have worked with family,(not a good idea), friends (sometimes not a good idea) and people we meet along the way.

the best handyperson we have found to date, is as roofer who does everything, but only takes small jobs. he stays really busy but gives us good rates and great work.

we continue to look...and ask around.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement