Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30468  
Subject: Happy Dance! Date: 9/16/2002 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 34
I have been low-carbing for approximately one month now. I hit some major speed bumps along the way (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17732163 for those of you who don't remember). The low-carb principles made sense to me, but I am also a natural skeptic. I'm a big believer in the Missouri principle ("Show Me"). So I was very careful to take some "baseline readings" before I started, with the idea that I would give low-carb a try and see what happened to "the numbers". Here's what happened:

One month ago: Weight 180 lbs., body fat 24%, cholesterol 198 (controlled with Lipitor).

Today: Weight 170 lbs., body fat 20%.

But here's the thing. One of the main reasons I was drawn to low-carb were the statements made in regards to cholesterol. My cholesterol was 298 before going on Lipitor. Lipitor got it under 200 (barely), but my triglycerides still sucked, and it caused my alk/phos readings to elevate the point where I was turned down for life insurance. So the statements from Atkins and from "Protein Power" that "your cholesterol and triglycerides will drop dramatically" got my attention. Not "may" buy "will", and not "slightly" but "dramatically". Being able to stop taking cholesterol-lowering medicine was often mentioned as well.

But I'm skeptical, remember? Since starting low-carb, I have been eating at least two eggs, and sometimes more, every single day. Could my cholesterol really be going down? Oh yeah? Well then, show me.

Well, I have been shown, to say the least. I tested my cholesterol last night. 1-5-8! A forty-freakin'-point drop in a month! My cholesterol has never been that low since I started testing it years ago. Nothing has changed this month except for limiting my carbs. Compare this to the strict low-fat regimen (<30% calories from fat, <7% calories from saturated fat) that I went on before being put on Lipitor, which didn't budge my cholesterol. The doctor just shrugged and said, "It must be genetic." Yeah, right.

IT WORKS! IT REALLY WORKS!!!

As an experiment, I have stopped taking Lipitor, and will monitor my cholesterol very closely now to see what it does. I am also going to try to find a different doctor. My current one didn't even want to talk about low-carb as a treatment option for my cholesterol. Just take the pretty, shiny pill and everyone will be happy. Especially the drug companies.
:-\

I FEEL GREAT! :-D Thanks for listening, and for all your great ideas and support this past month. GO LOW CARB! ;-)

Thanks!
Joe
Toasting to success with a Michelob Ultra!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement