UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308686  
Subject: Happy Dance Date: 3/14/2014 1:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
After holding on for 20 years, I have finally sold a chunk of my stock portfolio and paid off all debt except for my home mortgage. The numbers are cringe worthy and I don't want to go into the details, but lets just say I paid off a debt pushing 6 figures with a stock portfolio that finally hit 7 figures. Dad was a CEO at the company I put most of my money in, so I understood what they were doing and where they were going (no insider info, I held on through the peaks and valleys) and paid interest in the hopes of a decent payoff. Now I can let the rest ride. I am just lucky it worked out for me. Whew!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mcstuffins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308043 of 308686
Subject: Re: Happy Dance Date: 3/14/2014 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wow, what a gamble! Glad it worked. My husband and I made a long term investment in a family member's business that went bust leaving me with some debt. It was a gamble and we lost much less than our family member who is still struggling. We recently got approached to invest in another family member's business but passed.

Did you have any regrets, misgivings, etc during that 20 yr time period?

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308044 of 308686
Subject: Re: Happy Dance Date: 3/15/2014 12:08 AM
Recommendations: 4
There were times when the stock dropped and I felt like I needed to cash in. At that time my stock value was about the same as my debt. Some sleepless nights, but I just felt like I needed to hang on. While I had no problem making the minimum payments, I was getting nervous that if this stock became worthless, it would put us in a bad situation. Finally, my stock went from under a dollar a share to 4 dollars. It made it easier to carry debt knowing that I could sell my stock and pay it off. I let it ride, until the stock hit 15 a share. I could now sell 15% and pay off the debt, letting the rest ride. I would not recommend this to anyone, like I said, it was a gamble that paid off.

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308046 of 308686
Subject: Re: Happy Dance Date: 3/16/2014 10:34 PM
I would not recommend this to anyone, like I said, it was a gamble that paid off.

So, I'm not sure that I agree in general, though it may have been a gamble in your particular case. You were invested in a family business that has done well. I agree that it's not easy to make a family business work. But if you know your relatives who are working with the business and they have integrity, business sense, and a strong work ethic, there is still a lot to be said for it.

ThyPeace, much prefers to invest in people, places, and things that she knows well.

Author: Barry122 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308062 of 308686
Subject: Re: Happy Dance Date: 3/29/2014 5:50 AM
Congratulations on holding onto your cards when it looked pretty bleak. Glad to hear it pay off for you. I have held onto parts of my portfolio in the hopes of seeing it improve (unfortunately it didn’t) but it is great to hear someone else be successful in these situations.

Author: WHOVPLLC One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 308078 of 308686
Subject: Re: Happy Dance Date: 3/30/2014 12:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
I am always Happy when I dance with my wife!!!

WHOVPLLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement