Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xerohype Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58724  
Subject: Happy Dance, reaching and staying at a nl BMI Date: 9/30/2012 5:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I'm celebrating this weekend and giving myself permission to go off the diet and loosen up a bit for a day or two, for I have reached my goal and have been in good maintenance mode for the last 2 months.

My goal was to reach a BMI below 25. I gave myself a year to achieve this goal and accomplished it in 10 months. Now it has been about a year since I started this journey and I have gotten to my goal and kept the weight off so far. Now comes the hard part, keeping the weight off for the rest of my life, but I now have the tools to achieve it.

A year ago I weighed in at about 224 lbs. I had been exercising regularly for a few years and over the year before I had lost about 10 lbs. My heaviest ever was 234 lbs and at that point I was wearing size 40 pant waist.

The turning point came on 10/15/11. My wife had discovered an app called MyFitnessPal. She had been using it for about 2 months and had lost about 12 lbs. She urged me to try it for a day to see what happened and I was intrigued and agreed to the experiment.

Going through the exercise of logging all of my calories really opened my eyes. I logged more than 3000 calories that first day after going out to eat at Jason's Deli (mostly because of my predilection for their soft serve ice cream). I was horrified and vowed to log my calories from then on and to try my best to stick to my calorie goals. It hasn't been easy, but I've stuck to my guns and the weight has gradually come off.

I started by making modest changes to my diet and progressing to bigger changes. I eat about 500-600 calories per meal, mostly lean protein and lots of veggies and greens. I still treat myself to frozen yogurt, but most of the time I offset that by getting on the treadmill and doing 3-4 miles of walking or light jogging.

I am now at a size 32 waist and most everybody who knew me before says that I look 10 years younger. I find that I feel the difference in many ways, having more energy and just feeling better overall.

If I get enough recs and interest from the people here I can write some tips and how to use MyFitnessPal to get the most out of it. My strategy has been to lose the weight very gradually and to add exercise as a way to keep my metabolism higher and to allow me to eat more calories when I go out to eat.

Thanks to all the regular contributors on this board!

May you all get to fit in your skinny clothes!

Best wishes,

Erick
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement