UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Andrea001 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 113  
Subject: Happy new Year Date: 1/2/2000 4:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good morrow fool!

Shall your foolishness increase as well as heaven blesses you with fortune and some extra days.

The transition into Y2K seems to have been lucky. Fortunately no major problems happened, though I just had a little electricity collapse here - not yet announced by the media.

Recently they reported about a possibly strongly irresponsible man, the commerce minister in Italy, who says they've done very little about all the Y2k stuff. He said, if the computers break, then they'll stay in the piazza an extra day, with some coffee and cake. Then they can go in and fix anything that breaks, or doesn't work. And they won't have many aeroplanes in the air (who will). And he said, if nothing breaks, then look how much money they will have saved versus those who are really being frantic (responsible would be another word).

First and finally I reacted to the minister's manner of thinking like Jaques in the following quotation from W. Shakespeare's 'As you like it' ACT II, SCENE VII. I would like to quote it here as a kind of millennium cheer for the fool.

A fool, a fool! I met a fool i' th' forest,
A motley fool: a miserable world!
As I do live by food, I met a fool,
Who laid him down and basked him in the sun,
And railed on Lady Fortune in good terms,
And good set terms, and yet a motley fool.
'Good morrow, fool', quoth I. 'No, sir', quoth he,
'Call me not fool, till heaven hath sent me fortune'.
And then he drew a dial from his poke,
And looking on it, with lack-lustre eye,
Says, very wisely, 'It is ten o'clock.
Thus we may see', quoth he, 'how the world wags:
'Tis but an hour ago since it was nine,
And after one hour more 'twill be eleven;
And so from hour to hour, we ripe and ripe,
And then from hour to hour, we rot, and rot,
And thereby hangs a tale.' When I did hear
The motley fool thus moral on the time,
My lungs began to crow like chanticleer,
That fools should be so deep-contemplative;
And I did laugh, sans intermission,
An hour by his dial. O noble fool!
A worthy fool! Motley's the only wear.

What's different between the minister's kind of the thinking about the course of time and the way of the world and that one of the fool above? Not that much, I think! It is just a simple and therefore always true perception of how it normally turns out to be and how it also came this yearend: no crashes, no disasters, if something went wrong, they will fix it: as normal as the morning after night. Typical Italian foolishness, I fear - and very charming!

In my opinion the minister is a real fool who merits the jester's crown with golden bells.

What did the media machine tell us all the time? It made us very conscious and concerned about any possible or impossible outcome of Y2K. They taught us the tail wagging with the dog and not the opposite. Now it continuous in steaming around creating its relentless stream of production while I just could take note of the next imaginary and certainly thrilling competition, the one for the first millennium baby.

Yahoo has announced that probably - not yet sure and therefore particularly thrilling - the first new baby is a baby boy who was born in New Brunswick at 12:31 Atlantic Standard Time. What a great thing! Since a long time I'm wondering who will be the new millennium's first baby and where it will come on earth. It seems now that they found it and that they will present us Mr. America North soon afterwards.

So best wishes for him, for all 2000-babies, the whole childhood and adolescence, adults and up to age in all five continents including water, air, fire and earth. Health especially for the latter four and a few drops of consciousness of their real insanity to the media! We should take them away their alarm bells, because this is not a toy for any hysteric or panic beginnings.

And for you, The Motley Fool - a motley crowd? Motley's the only wear. Stay foolish get even more foolish and beware of insanity - white dressed doctors' insanity, black wearing academics' insanity, business men's tie bearing insanity, insanity of those who destroy minds with trivial news or the insanity of politicians who destroy hopes with subtle and increasingly refined lies etc. - in the century that just has begun.

Coffee and cake on a pizza for you, dear fool!

Andrea001

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement