Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86536  
Subject: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/15/2012 6:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Hey everyone!

I'm sorry I've been AWOL, and thanks to everyone for thinking of us during Sandy.

Long Island, as you already know was hit hard by Sandy. It was the worst ever in history in this area, and compared to the hurricane of 1938 (which killed so many more people because there was no warning system available at that time).

We were extremely fortunate as we had no structural damage, and only suffered some landscaping casualties. We consider ourselves so lucky. While our home was spared, walking just around the block, there were massive trees all over like toothpicks, with some that had crashed right through homes.

Less than a mile away, near the water, homes were devastated. Flooding though homes that literally caused total destruction. Where I teach, just 15 miles away, entire neighborhoods were washed away, and countless families found themselves homeless. Our school district was closed for a week. Other districts were closed for more than 2 weeks.

We only lost power for 27 hours, but others lost power for weeks, and as I type this, there are still tens of thousands still without power.

But with all the devastation, disasters like this bring out the best in people. Neighbors helping neighbors, total strangers showing up to help those in need. In Staten Island, which was and is still in desperate shape, even volunteers from New Orleans have arrived there to donate help in every way imaginable. They say that it gives them the opportunity to help others the way they were helped by strangers when Katrina hit.

The say a storm like this hits every 100 years or so. I'm hoping that it'll be at least another 100 years before it happens again.

Thank you again to everyone for your thoughts!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86194 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/15/2012 11:49 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for posting.

Will you have to make up the 5 days of school?

Any words of wisdom (what do you wish you'd had during the power outage?)

YeilB
whose town routinely withstands 45 mph winds (because everything that could be blown over has already been blown over)

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86195 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/16/2012 2:38 PM
I'm sorry I've been AWOL, and thanks to everyone for thinking of us during Sandy.

Long Island, as you already know was hit hard by Sandy. It was the worst ever in history in this area, and compared to the hurricane of 1938 (which killed so many more people because there was no warning system available at that time).

We were extremely fortunate as we had no structural damage, and only suffered some landscaping casualties. We consider ourselves so lucky. While our home was spared, walking just around the block, there were massive trees all over like toothpicks, with some that had crashed right through homes.

Wow, Tony. I'm so glad you didn't have any worse damage than you did.

Thanks for getting back to us and giving us an update. I was wondering, too.

I hope you will visit more often and keep us posted with what's going on with you -- we miss you! :)

Andrea

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86196 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/16/2012 7:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks for posting.

Will you have to make up the 5 days of school?

Any words of wisdom (what do you wish you'd had during the power outage?)

Hi YeilB!

We'll find out Monday what the plan may be, but it seems that we'll have to make up the days. We were supposed to have a conference day, but that was made into a regular day, so it comes out to 4 days which have to be made up.

In the northeast, we have the week of President's Day off. However, this may be where the time is made up.

By the way, this is my last year, as I'll be retiring from my district in June, so to be honest, I can handle whatever they throw. ;-)

As far as words of wisdom for the power outage? Well, I was envious of the people with gas instead of electric. It wouldn't have helped with heat, but most people with gas were able to cook on the range top, and enjoy having hot water for showers.

But to be honest, we were as prepared as possible. I had the following covered:

--a full tank and extra tank of propane for the bbq
--a camping percolator (which I was very grateful for!)
--a ton of batteries
--several flashlights
--plenty of canned food on hand
--bags of ice in coolers
--flood insurance (just in case, though we're pretty far enough from the water to not have to worry)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86197 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/16/2012 7:51 PM
Recommendations: 3
I hope you will visit more often and keep us posted with what's going on with you -- we miss you! :)

Thanks, Andrea!

I miss you too, and I'll do you one better...

I won't just be visiting, I'm moving back in as a regular! :-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Wondering who's been leaving Twinkie wrappers all over the Isle!

Author: Eugeneous Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86198 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/17/2012 7:08 PM
Tony
...but I still am...

Wondering who's been leaving Twinkie wrappers all over the Isle!

I'm more into Zingers. Those and Twinkies may be in short supply very soon.

Eugene
about to cry

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86199 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/18/2012 2:00 PM
Recommendations: 2
How come...

While I haven't had a Twinkie in about 15 years, now that I can't get one, I want one?!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86200 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/19/2012 12:36 PM

Tony

Oh. I see. Ahem.... wait just a moment....

[scurries about, putting Tony's chair back into place, replacing chocolates & rum, re-organizing the ammunitions drawer....

QF

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86201 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/19/2012 7:43 PM
Recommendations: 3
Oh. I see. Ahem.... wait just a moment....

[scurries about, putting Tony's chair back into place, replacing chocolates & rum, re-organizing the ammunitions drawer....

Aha! So it's been you, Fiddlin' around, eh?

You missed a few Ho Ho, Ding Dong, and Twinkie wrappers in the corner.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86202 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/23/2012 3:55 AM
Well congrats on your approaching retirement, and if you should be traveling Texas-way you let me know.

jooycets

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86203 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/24/2012 1:41 PM
Thanks, J!

I'll definitely do that when the time comes to visit the great state of Texas!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86204 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/24/2012 8:06 PM
We were extremely fortunate as we had no structural damage, and only suffered some landscaping casualties....We only lost power for 27 hours

Good News!

By the way, this is my last year, as I'll be retiring from my district in June

Great News!

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!

So Tony, I've been thinking about you lately. First it was the storm and now its about Aruba. We're kicking around taking a Panama Cruise next spring and one of the ports is Oranjestad, Aruba!

Utahtea

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86205 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/24/2012 8:08 PM

QF

Don't forget the rum cakes!

;)

Utahtea

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86206 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/26/2012 10:51 AM
Recommendations: 2
Don't forget the rum cakes!

;)

Utahtea

Durn I thought you wouldn't notice... shoulda known better....

Fifi

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86208 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 11/29/2012 3:53 PM
So Tony, I've been thinking about you lately. First it was the storm and now its about Aruba. We're kicking around taking a Panama Cruise next spring and one of the ports is Oranjestad, Aruba!

Utah!

Awesome cruise!

If that happens, let me know, and I'll tell you what you should do when you get there. You don't want to just hang around the port and think you've seen Aroooba. I'll hook you up.

...and, if there's any chance the cruise is when I'm there, we'll meet up!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86214 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 12/1/2012 10:38 PM
Utah!

Awesome cruise!

If that happens, let me know, and I'll tell you what you should do when you get there. You don't want to just hang around the port and think you've seen Aroooba. I'll hook you up.

...and, if there's any chance the cruise is when I'm there, we'll meet up!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

I sure will and wouldn't that be a kick to meet up in Aruba!

Utahtea

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86218 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 12/2/2012 2:17 PM
I sure will and wouldn't that be a kick to meet up in Aruba!

Sure would! And the drinks are on me!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86226 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 12/18/2012 10:20 PM
Tony,

We have booked the cruise so I am officially

Utahtea
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba!

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86227 of 86536
Subject: Re: Happy Thursday! Date: 12/22/2012 10:00 AM
Awesome, Utah!

So when will you be going??

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement