UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/16/2001 3:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The board's been kinda quiet this week...

Anyway, I'm off to the Raleigh Boat Show...

Have a fun weekend everyone!

Chuck - A man in search of the right sailboat.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 216 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/16/2001 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Chuck:

The board has been slow...I have not been around much myself but have instead been stuck inside the evil world they call "bar review." Have fun @ the boat show. Take some pics and post them!

-Gekko II

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 223 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 7:06 AM
Recommendations: 3
Chuck - A man in search of the right sailboat.

Chuck, these boat shows are a great place to learn what your options are on a boat, but don't buy a new one! You can get great deals here in the Caribbean on used sailboats. Many people buy them new with the idea that this is the lifestyle for them, and after the crossing decide this most certainly isn't the life for them. You can pick them up used in good condition and cheap. Or pick up one of the charter boat cast offs. The charters need everything in mint shape to get their big bucks, and tend to sell off the boat after about 5 years use. Lots of life left in them, but minor wear renders them unusable in the charter business.

Besides, it is a lot warmer down here than in Raleigh!

InParadise

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 11:13 AM
IP said: Besides, it is a lot warmer down here than in Raleigh!

Amen to that!

I'm not really planning to buy a new boat, just windowshopping!

There are so many "good deals" on used boats up and down the East and Gulf Coasts (and of course in the Carib) that buying a new boat would be small 'f' foolish...

And, as far as the Raleigh Boat Show goes, it was great if you're a bass fisherman or skier, or looking for a daysailor or weekender...Nothing bigger than 22' in the sailing exhibit...

Chuck

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 227 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 12:08 PM
Chuck,

I noticed on the REHP board, you said you were leaving the board. Did it just get too political for you? Are you staying here in the land of JB, where nothing is OT?

InParadise

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 228 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 12:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
You hit the nail right on the head, IP...

Politically, I'm almost smackdab in the middle of the road...

Fiscally moderate, socially moderate leaning a little to the left...

But, having said that, I'm really apolitical. I don't much care what goes on in politics, although, I DO vote.
Until the Facists or Religious zealots start kicking peoples doors in...Then I'll care.

Religiously, I'm not.

Philosophically, I'm a Taoist. If I need a reminder of what life's about, I watch The Universe for a while. It's all there for anyone to see, if they just take the time to "SEE" it.

Anyway, I've begun to ramble a bit so I guess I'll stop now...

Chuck - My boss once accused me of being a "Space Cadet", but I prefer to think of it as having a "room with a view" of The Universe.

Author: llinden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 230 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 2:50 PM
Chuck, Although I'm mostly a lurker, I've enjoyed your posts on both boards. I hope you won't really go away for good! I've been immersed in Taoist readings lately - very interesting and mostly mirroring my independently arrived at world view. Any good book rec's for me?

Signing in from sunny Orlando where Jimmy was singing last week. Laurie

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 231 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 4:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
Laurie asked: Any good book rec's for me?

Hmm...

Well, the obvious ones are "Tao te Ching" and "Tao of Pooh"...
One of the not so obvious books is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

"365 Tao" is also good...

And here are some links:

http://blackdogtao.virtualave.net/
http://www.mendosa.com/way.html
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/taoism/
http://www.quantumage.org/ovtaozen.htm
http://www.ii.uib.no/~arnemo/tao/tao.html

Well, that's probably more than you wanted!

Chuck

Author: llinden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/19/2001 4:41 PM
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Cheers

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 235 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/20/2001 7:18 AM
Recommendations: 2
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

If you are going to order books online, go through a Fool link. They get money for our doing so. I don't know about you, but after the recent layoffs I am more conscious about trying to keep them funded. I don't want my boards going away.

InParadise

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 237 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/20/2001 7:22 AM
IP said: If you are going to order books online, go through a Fool link.

I think I saw you suggest this somewhere else, MI board maybe, and I agree totally...

Those links I posted for llinden were just links to Taoist reading on the 'Net.....

BTW, I thought of another book, "Everyday Tao"...

Chuck

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 238 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/20/2001 1:38 PM
One of the not so obvious books is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

Excellent recommendation! I very rarely stumble across someone who has read this book. I've met people who started it and put it down, but very few have made it to the Pacific.

An even less obvious rec would be the Carlos Castenada
books. They seem like fiction but are factual accounts of spiritual journeys.

1HappyFool

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 239 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/20/2001 2:11 PM
1HappyFool said: An even less obvious rec would be the Carlos Castenada books. They seem like fiction but are factual accounts of spiritual journeys.

I have read 3 of Casteneda's books...
The Teachings of Don Juan, A Separate Reality, and The Second Ring of Power...I haven't thought of them in several years...

As an aside, I recently heard that he died in 1998 of liver cancer...

I made it all the way through "Zen...", all the way from Navy Pier through Bozeman to the Pacific...

Chuck

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 240 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/20/2001 2:22 PM
Whoops...

Make it 4 of Casteneda's books...

I forgot Journey to Ixtlan....

Chuck

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 241 of 381
Subject: Re: Happy Weekend! Date: 2/20/2001 11:00 PM
I forgot Journey to Ixtlan....

I think that's the last one that I read, but it was many, many, many years ago and also many spiritual journeys ago so those brain cells have not been used lately.

Congrats on your journey to the Pacific. When I got there it was a *profound* experience. Like a "somebody else's reality" filter was suddenly stripped from my eyes. I've often said that life is too short for rereading books (there are so many unread), but for "Zen...", I would make an exception. I wonder if I can find a copy.

1HappyFool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement